Water for life, for growth, for cleansing, for drinking cooking, washing … in fact water for everything and everyone. Water is important for life and incredibly necessary for weight loss. But it’s just not any water. Water for weight loss must be pure, odourless, fresh, colourless, tasteless, alkaline and readily available. We must hydrate our very cells if our weight loss fight is to move an inch forward. Remember our body is at least 60% water and so we give to the body what it needs to stay alive and healthy.
Your guide to water drinking for weight loss is outlined below:
1. You must drink at least I litre of water for every 30kg body weight
By now you I assume you can safely estimate your weight. If unsure, no stress. Just walk into your local pharmacy and ask for your weight to be checked. They will oblige I’m sure. You can stretch your good luck a bit and for your height to be confirmed. (after all you are the go getter here!). Your height will come in handy when calculating your body mass index. More info on that later.
2. Your drinking water must be alkaline at least 9.5ph
pH or hydrogen ion concentration in moles per litre, is a universal measure of how many hydrogen atoms are present in a substance. Now we are not about to test you for WAEC Chemistry but it’s good to understand the science behind some on the words you’ll read here. pH scale ranks from +1 to -14 with 1 being highly acidic and -14 being highly alkaline. Human blood is slightly alkaline at 7.365. This value must be maintained at all times to ensure good health There are several options towards maintaining blood pH. But the simplest and best is drinking alkaline water. You can check the alkalinity of your drinking water with pH test strips or you can make your own. It’s simple really.
3. You must drink water first upon waking up
There are several reasons why you must drink water on waking up, chief of which is to flush out toxins accumulated during sleep, keep histamines down, lubricate your gut. You have two options here; you either
Drink a glass of warm- hot water on waking up. Finish with room temperature water
Drink warm water all the way i.e make your wake up water consumption warm to the temperature you can bear
4. Drink an extra litre of water for every 1hr of your workout. You can divide the litre in two, taking 500ml before and after your work out. Increase water volume if your workout goes beyond 1Hr
5. Increase the alkalinity of your water by adding 1-2 teaspoonful of sodium bicarbonate to 1 litre of water. To make it easy on your already crowded schedule, a 20 litre dispenser bottle tap and bottle stand will come in handy here. Simply measure out the requisite quantity of baking soda and add to a litre of water shaking vigorously to dissolve. Add the baking soda solution to the 20L litre of drinking water. Shake vigorously to dissolve completely, screw on the plastic tap and mount on the stand. Your alkaline water is ready for drinking, nice and easy.
6. Use The Resources already available at home
The average Nigerian home has water bottles, mobile phones, baking soda (not baking powder, there’s a difference), teaspoon, tablespoons, funnel somewhere on the shelves. Make your water mobile, fill up your water bottle and go. To ensure regularity of water consumption, set up alarms on your mobile device. Keep your alkaline water in a convenient place. To keep track of your daily hydration efforts, set up a chart and get a loved one to update it daily. That way you’ll be held accountable for your efforts
7. To reduce boredom with plain water, make your own Spa water!
Yeah, you can. Several slices of lemon + cucumber + a cube of ice in your litre of alkaline water makes all the difference. You can also try slices of carrot, orange, few leaves of mint, . You mix and match to your hearts content. Bottom line: drink up! Spa water recipes are available as a post on this blog.
8. Read Product labels, that’s bottled water labels. Included here are sachet, plastic, glass and water dispenser bottles! That’s right, fancy packaging does not make for healthy water. Ask questions at the restaurants when dining out. Check that your local supplier of water does not display his wares in the hot sun. You can up the ante like my colleague Uche, she takes a tiny quantity of baking soda with her when dining out, making a quick bottle of alkaline water on the go.
9. DO NOT drink while eating! Drink water 30 minutes to one hour before meals and 2hours after meals. If you are on medication, a small quantity of water to down your drugs will do no harm. Drinking before meals helps to hydrate your digestive system, preparing them for the work ahead. Note that urgent need for water at a meal stems from dehydration already in high gear before your meal started. Drinking while eating dilutes digestive enzymes leading to partial digestion, fermentation, gas and bloat. Now that’s terrible!
10. Remember Juices, soft drinks, teas, coffee, chocolate beverages do not count in your hydration effort.
The reason is simple, these drinks need water, plain water to digest properly. If you are in doubt, take a cup of coffee on an empty stomach and measure your urine output later.
And while you are at it forget not the tissues, and public conveniences! Do not, I beg you, buy fast food items simply because you need to use their loo. BUY WATER instead and alkalize it yourself!