One of many things I look forward to every week is my TGIF countdown to Friday. By the close of work on Friday my favorite time rolls in with possibilities-sleep ins, endless shopping trips(that’s if your pocket is loaded), playtime with the children, party time with friends, a visit to your favorite spa/tailor and an awesome dose of me time! I don’t’ know about you but my weekends are so packed with activities that sometimes as I push for my plans to be achieved I kind of like put aside some little though important aspects of me care.
In the early hours of Saturday morning, I at times rush to the early morning markets to buy fresh food items not bothering to take a peek at the mirror as I go. And the result? Hmmm! an askew sleep cap, dry facial skin, a rumpled hastily donned tee and (please don’t laugh) a forgotten phone or purse! As I write this an incident comes to mind: I met a friend who turned up at the Mile 1 market by 7am to pick a particular shade of scarf she planned on using for an Owambe later that morning. She arrived looking plain terrible-mousy weaves, stained tank top and flipflops! Whatever the situation, you should take cognizant of how you look and smell, pay attention to your hair, face and clothes before dashing out of the house into the streets.
These trips are out of your house, so, the same principle of ‘you’ll be addressed the way you’re dressed’ still applies. No one expects you to go do weekend shopping, combing different stores and open markets with all glazed cheekbones, well-contoured face, killer heels and a gorgeous flowing dress but you sure shouldn’t look like you rolled out of bed into the market.
We’ve put together few tips that will help you look and smell good for these run-arounds, even though you don’t want to hit the showers that early. These tips also come in handy if you have to dash out and dash back in.
1. Clean Your Teeth: One of the things you should do when you need to run around for shopping on Saturday morning is to clean your teeth. You will converse with people, even if it’s just the storekeepers or the traders in the market, and you really don’t want to take their breath away in the wrong way. Don’t be in a rush and forget to either take two minutes to brush , or at the very least, use a mouthwash and gargle through and through; or just chew on fresh mints
2. Groom Your Hair: Oh Me! Ladies, this is very important. You don’t want to step into the stores or markets with unkempt hair. Plus, if you wear your hair-net to the market, you need to stop it immediately. That net/cap was made to cover up your hair while you sleep. It’s almost like wearing pajamas to the market. Take your hair net off, tidy up your crown of glory and you’re good to go.
3. Wear Clean clothes: Don’t in the name of ‘hurrying out’ throw on some dirty jeans or gown or a stained top. Really, no! Make sure that whatever you decide to wear is clean – no stains, no weird smell. You don’t want the market women turning up their noses at you surely?
4. Take care of your face: You don’t have to wear makeup, but also you don’t have to go with your face wrinkled up, oily and drowsy. Wash your face with clean water and soap, dry and just add a little cream to make your skin supple. If your lips seem dry, put on a little balm.
5. Go Simple: If you’re always indecisive on what to wear to run around for your shopping on Saturday morning; a light short dress always works. Just throw on a simple chic dress and match it with some slippers or sandals and you’re great. If you’re a denim chic, throw some plain colored top on your jeans and you’re set to go shopping. If you would like to go in shorts, no problem
6. No Flip Flops: This can’t be overemphasized. Your flip flops are royalties at home; they are worn through and through, but they are meant for the confines of your house just like your hair net/cap. Wear proper slippers and sandals when you’re going off to the market on Saturday morning.
7. Wear a mild perfume/ body spray: We are in the market yes? But the chic in us must not be put away with the stoickfish head! Ladies pretty up a bit. It costs little but will earn us points with the barrow pushers, the traders, taxi drivers and even fellow shoppers
These few tips will always ensure you look and smell good, and will boost your confidence to spend time getting the things you want to.